There are many cases in which the doctor prescribes the corticosteroids especially the prednisone. Such diseases are for example the digestive system problems and irritable bowel syndrome. The doctor can also prescribe the drug to treat the following:
- Cortex insufficiency
- Skin rashes
- Thyroid gland diseases
- Ulcerative colitis
- Blood disorders
- Multiple sclerosis
Since the drug has many benefits, it is also widely used in both animals and humans.
Like any other medicine, there are always the benefits and the prednisone side effects.
The prednisone side effects in men are:
- abdominal pain
Even if the above-stated side effects may not be serious; but sometimes the steroid induces Osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is one of the serious side effects in men. The steroid works by reducing the calcium absorption capacity and men begin to develop bone fractures or other bone related diseases such as Osteoporosis.
Short Prednisone Side Effects In Men
- changes in mood
- loss or increase of appetite
- mood swings
- Excessive sweating
Severe Prednisone Side Effects In Men
- bulging of eyes
- reddening of face
- abdominal distension
- inflammation of esophagus
- fluid retention
- peptic ulcers
- muscle weakness
In case a man continues to take prednisone for a long period, then he will be at risk of getting heart diseases, blood pressure, high blood sugar, hypertension, and diabetes. Some people who take the medicine may experience some of the symptoms and it is rare to find one person with all these symptoms at once. You have also to keep in mind that every individual is different and every individual’s body reacts differently. Some may also undergo such changes and show such symptoms that can be totally different from the ones that have been mentioned above. Regardless of how severe the symptoms can be, the patient is not allowed to stop the medicine at once especially if he has taken it over a longer period of time This is because he can develop the prednisone withdrawal effects and they can also manifest themselves as the side effects or even severe than them.
Following points should be kept in mind while taking precautions or finding remedies for the same:
1. The first step to be taken is is to talk to your doctor and to let him give you advice on what you have to do even if a single sign has been observed.
2. After the assessment, the doctor can choose to give you a new medicine or to reduce the prednisone dosages that you were taking.
3. It is also in your best interest not to take the medicine without the prescription.
4. If you are taking the drug over a long period of time, then it is in your best favor to have a routine check-up to be on the safe side.
The drug has to be taken only for short term and you have to carry with the same dosage that has been advised by your doctor. You have to report to your doctor if any side effects are seen by you. You ought to get them examined in order to avoid any future complication
What Osteoporosis Is:
Osteoporosis is one of the prednisone side effects in men but there are also other factors that will increase the chances of developing it, such as:
- certain medication
- family history
- previous fracture
- inadequate calcium intake
- sedentary lifestyle
- people who are small built.
Effects Of Prednisone:
The medicine also can affect different body system: It can cause the following unwanted conditions that include:
- or neutropenia in hermatoligic
- humeral heads
- risk of bone fracture
- aseptic necorsism mylagia
- reduced muscle mass
- tendon rupture
- steroid mypathy
- vertebral compression in musculoskeletal.
Effects On Neurological System:
The psychiatric or neurological system can be affected in the following ways.
- The person can develop anxiety, amnesia, dementia, delirium or convulsion.
- The ophthalmic system also can be affected and the patient can develop cataracts, blurred vision, glaucoma, papilledema, exophthalmos or central serous chorioretinopathy.
Other Common Side Effects:
Additional side effects also can be in the form of the following:
- masking or aggravation of infection
- less resistance to the infection
- abnormal fat deposits
- more or less spermatozoa
- moon face
- or malaise
If some of the people on this medicine develop few or no side effects, it does not mean that it will be the same for you. The reason is that every being is a different individual with different body capacities. For this, you have to talk to your doctor before you take the medicine.
Other articles you might like;
- Prednisone Dosage for Asthma
- Prednisone Helps Treat Lupus
- Prednisone and Cancer
- How Should Prednisone Be Used
- Prednisone Tapering Side Effects
Pingback: Prednisone Side Effects | Prednisone Side Effects