Prednisone is a steroid medication that is prescribed for both adults and children in the treatment and prevention of skin problems as well as different allergies. There is, however, a lot of prednisone side effects in children that have been identified with the improvement in medical studies. This article is an effort to let you have the information about the prednisone side effects in children
Prednisone is an effective management medication against asthma, skin disorders and other disorders related to the allergies and skin disorders in the children. The drug is also administered for the effective treatment of leukemia of the acute type, arthritis, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, adrenocortical insufficiency, nervous systems disorders and poison ivy. Among the benefits of prednisone is the fact that the medication is easily affordable in the market and it greatly helps to calm the inflammations using IBD. This drug has helped a lot of people in overcoming the colitis of the ulcers and the Crohn’s disease. Before we list down the detail of the prednisone side effects in children, it is necessary to know some of the major information and more facts about the wide use of this drug.
Useful Points To Note About Prednisone
In the market today, in terms of genuine research the prednisone drug is taken as pills that are available in various sizes. The size of the prednisone pills ranges from 2 ½ mg up to 50mg. There is also the Methylprednisolone which serves as solu-medrol that is administered in general to the children who are in form four; these are usually in the injection form. The oral steroids like orapred or Prelone may also be administered to these children who may find it hard to swallow the prednisone pills. Prednisone is also prescribed to treat, collagen, nephritic syndrome, gastrointestinal disorders, hematologic, respiratory and ophthalmic disorders. The dose of prednisone that is administered to a person depends on the decision of the doctors after the patient has been diagnosed with the particular case. It is only the amount that has been prescribed that should be taken. With the right amount of the drug, it also helps in the relief of stomach pain. Having discussed general information on the drug, we shall now proceed to outline the various prednisone side effects in children
- The prednisone side effects in children depend on how long the drug has been used; whether for a shorter time span or longer time span. It also depends on the overall health of the child and the intake of the prednisone dosage. It could also include the immune system dysfunction of the child, allergic reactions and general behavioral changes.
- Illnesses: Prednisone is a steroid synthetic form that is given to children as well as to adults in the treatment of health conditions like skin disorders, asthma, and severe allergies. Prednisone may increase the susceptibility of the child to common illnesses like flu, cold as well as other respiratory infections- particularly if the medicine is taken over a long period of time
- Failure in vaccine: Due to the reduction in the immune system responses of the child, there is a failure in responses to childhood vaccines that are administered to the child; for example; Varicella vaccine against Chickenpox and the MMR vaccine for mumps, measles, and rubella. These can have serious effects on the child
- Slow growth: another side effect of prednisone in children include a slower rate of growth; which is as a result of the slower growth of bones and reduced weight gain which could be worse in children on a long-term prednisone medication
- Insomnia: children who are using the prednisone medication may have trouble in falling asleep; these children could have been previously sleeping well but have become sleepless and may be awake too early
- Increased hunger: prednisone has a side effect of increasing the appetite in children. It may also lead to indigestion; these are not usually taken as serious prednisone side effects.
- Discomfort: the general discomfort arises from muscular pains as well as pain in the joints and bones. There is also a weakness, fatigue, and headaches. These side effects may be easily treated with painkillers that are prescribed by a pediatrician.
- General allergic reaction: prednisone is a medicine that can induce a lot of allergic reactions like hives, swollen throat, itching, swelling of face or mouth; others are strained breathing and skin rashes. These allergic reactions need immediate medical intervention.
- A lot of medical experts also mention that osteoporosis, weight gain, and type two diabetes are some of the other side effects of prednisone in children.
- Blurred vision; hip, shoulder and stomach pains are also identified side effects in children taking prednisone.
- A lot of the side effects can be prevented by early detection and consult a health care provider on time.
- There is also reported cases of nervousness, hyperactivity, facial swelling and skin marks
- Seizures, vomiting, alkalosis, peptic ulcers are among the side effects that may occur when prednisone is administered in an improper dosage.
- Other side effects of prednisone are the loss of bone density, indigestion, hiccups, profuse sweating, depression, and mood swings.
- Adrenal suppression is one of the popular side effects of the medication. This results in the dependence of the child’s body on the medication as the drug dose increase; this is usually as a result of the difficulty in the synthesis of the natural corticosteroids. To prevent this, prednisone should be gradually withdrawn; note that it is dangerous to suddenly stop the use of the drug.
The side effects of prednisone in children that have been mentioned above should be noted and such cases should not be ignored by parents. The effects can be very severe and dangerous and at times could lead to death. There could be an increase in the blood glucose levels particularly in patients who are suffering from diabetes. For fast treatment of the side effects of prednisone in children, it surely calls for a collective effort that will help to overcome the condition in children.
Other articles you might like;
- Prednisone Dosage for Asthma
- Prednisone Helps Treat Lupus
- Prednisone and Cancer
- How Should Prednisone Be Used
- Prednisone Tapering Side Effects